Wednesday 10 November 2021

TO ME, BRO FEMI WAS AN ANGEL - OLUWAKEMI AREOLA

 So. 

I wasn't so sure if I would be allowed to post this. 

Wasn't sure if it was politically correct or if those that felt differently would attack me. as I've been attacked by many friends and family over the issue already and almost every news article brings tears to my eyes.  

This can't be the same person they are talking about, one I respected and looked up to so much. 

But the truth is, as Nigeria is grieving I'm grieving too.




So should I grieve in private? or am I allowed to express my hurt?

I loved him . He was an amazing big brother to me.  ALWAYS smiling. His favourite word was Shalom.

He couldn't dance for all the tea in China his offkey moves so similar to mine.  🤣🤣🤣

Bro Femi would normally call around 6am. I honestly don't know why he assumed the rest of the world woke up when he did 🤷🏾‍♂️ even though I was always awake whenever he called. 

Our conversations were all about him asking my perspective on  particular topics. I was always honoured to respond from my point of view. He would listen interjecting with 'ehen sho mean eh!' here and there.  

He valued my opinions and never dismissed me and my little girl thinking for a millisecond. I admired that in him. 

Open minded enough to accept that everyone has their own point of view. 

The biggest bond we had was; I soo loved the way he loved God.  I remember hearing back in the day that he donated a building to an orphanage, I was so inspired and I said I must do the same when I grow up. 

Whenever you went to visit bro Femi he would ensure you spend hours with him. I noticed it was not just me, he was like that with everyone. He loved having quality people round him. He would either stuff your handbag full with moi moi, make you  drink umpteen cups of tea 🍵 or ensure he ordered you the take out of your choice.  

I hardly ever saw bro Femi in regular clothes. 

He was always in a long white jalabia or his black knee high Wellington boots. It was work work everyday, he was always at the site. 

The way he cared for everyone; even calling me to tell how everything in the family was going and how he was worried about Daddy or his brother and what even happened to the gateman. 

Bro Femi, if you worry about every one in such tiny details you'll have yourself a heart attack one day. 

He worked so hard he barely slept. Always excited and full of life and the next minute he is dosing off in a living room filled with so many people. 


Egbon mi, was so smart, so compassionate and had such a big heart ❤ 

I'm not even his biological sister but the way he always looked out for me even I forgot we don't share blood.  


Am I allowed to ask God why He allowed bro Femi to go like that?

A man that drew me closer to God in his every sentence. Shalom.

To me... bro Femi was an angel and I can't still believe he is gone  not to talk of how he went. 

He toiled day and night in that building with enthusiasm always beeming across his face.  He could light up any room with spontaneous praise worship and of course he would add his oyinbo style dance steps.

 I've cried everyday for the last one week but because the media was busy talking about how much of a bad person he was I couldn't even tell the world why I was crying.

I'm not an architect and I don't know anything about buildings.

I'm just an adopted little sister hurting because I can't talk to the one I love. 

I miss you sooo much.  They say we never appreciate what we have till it's gone.  

I will fight you when we meet again.  I would want to ask what went wrong? why did the building come down?

But I'm 100% sure you  will explain it to me and I know it won't be anything close to what everyone is saying, that's how much I believe in you even in your death.  

I do hope the afterlife is as they say. Just so I can come sit with you as we chump on peanuts together. 

You came. You saw and you conquered.

I truly don't like the way you left but remember we always say 'His thoughts towards us are of good not of evil'.  So for some reason, He knows why!  better than we do. 

Maybe He needs you more up there than we do down here. 

Bro Femi, a lot of people are angry about how you took their loved ones with you,  a thousand sorrys can never be enough, how do we put our own pain aside and console them?

Please help me tell God to strengthen their loved ones and give them the fortitude to bear the loss.

I pray for heaven to open up for everyone that lost their lives and give them access to paradise. 


It's been a tough few days but I promise I will tell you all about it when I see you again. 

Egbon mi, let the light guide your way.

Hold every memory as you go and every road you take will always lead you home. 


Time for this big little girl to dry her eyes and let you go.


Good night for now my beloved Egbon Femi!


Shalom


Oluwakemi Areola

No comments:

Post a Comment