Monday 21 October 2019

BREAST CANCER AWARENESS

I really admire individuals that are fighting or have fought the breast cancer battle directly or indirectly.
I cannot begin to say I know what it feels like and I wouldn’t even try but I do know what it is like to be scared, to feel lost in a massive wilderness and unsure of what direction to walk in for fear of being lost forever.

I lost one of my dearest friends to breast cancer a while ago and this experience shaped the woman I have become today.
He taught me so much and I really wish he was here today to teach me more and for me to show him the confident young lady he groomed me into becoming. He (yes He!) Men get breast cancer too, even though, male breast cancer is very rare. Breast cancer in men is usually detected as a hard lump underneath the nipple and areola. Less than one percent of all breast cancer cases develop in men, and only one in a thousand men will ever be diagnosed with breast cancer.


Men carry a higher mortality than women do, primarily because awareness among men is less and they are less likely to assume a lump is breast cancer, which can cause a delay in seeking treatment.
Currently there is not sufficient knowledge on the causes of breast cancer, therefore, early detection of the disease remains the cornerstone of breast cancer control. When breast cancer is detected early, and if adequate diagnosis and treatment are available, there is a good chance that breast cancer can be cured. If detected late, however, curative treatment is often no longer an option. In such cases, palliative care to relieve the suffering of patients and their families is needed.

So my appeal today is to the men. there is only a small amount of breast tissue which is much harder to feel, making it more difficult to catch these cancers early. It also means tumors can spread more quickly to surrounding tissues.
Big or Small, Save them all! Awareness is Power.

Thank you Centenary City @frontrangecity for inviting me to your beautifully pink cancer awareness exhibition. .
.
- Oluwakemi Ann-Melody Areola
CEO, Vivacity PR @vivacitypr

No comments:

Post a Comment